Sunday, December 11, 2011

Literary Dolls: Play House with Your Favorite Authors

There’s an obscure 1990 song I used to like that ends with this spoken line: “Wow, they have Nick Cave dolls now? I waaaant one.”

Well, there may not be a pint-sized version of musician Nick Cave yet, but you can now buy replicas of a bevy of famous authors, thanks to Debbie Ritter of Uneek Doll Designs. Now that I’ve seen her handiwork, all I can say is: “They have Joyce Carol Oates dolls now? I waaant one!”



Make your Joyce Carol Oates doll spend hours writing in longhand. (All photos via Uneek Doll Designs.)


The Joyce Carol Oates doll has sold, but Ritter has plenty of literary dolls to choose from. Considering how tiny these dolls are, the attention to details is wonderful, especially the clothing choices, from Maya Angelou’s golden earrings to Anne Sexton’s “fashionable striped pants with brown sash.”

Some of my favorite literary dolls:

A mutton-chopped Asimov doll in a cozy sweater...

I, Isaac Asimov

Maya Angelou doll with perfect silver streak and bonus fashion jewelry...

She knows why the housed doll sings.
 G.K. Chesterton...

I like to call him G.K. Chesterdrawers.


Lest you think that only classic literature is represented, take a gander at these ladies:

Teen icon Judy Blume...


Ready to discuss the symbolism in Superfudge.




A suitably classy Erma Bombeck...


The grass is always greener over the miniature septic tank.

Regency romance queen Barbara Cartland. The doll looks uncannily like her back-of-the-jacket photos, but with less airbrushing...

With a copy of The Rakish Rogue or The Roguish Rake or somesuch.

Not only can you buy dolls of the authors, but also their characters. Dolls from Les Miserables are ready to start a tiny revolution, or you can re-enact your favorite scenes from The Hunchback of Notre Dame with your very own Quasimodo. Particularly hard to resist is this aptly insane Mrs. Rochester.

Set it on fire, then order more!

Ritter takes custom orders, so I’m debating whether or not to commision a redo of the Joyce Carol Oates doll, or perhaps a frail Joan Didion or a dour Patricia Highsmith. Some Wodehouse characters would make me swoon, too. Maybe a newt-fancying Gussie Fink-Nottle?

See all of Uneek Doll Designs author dolls here, and characters here.

What author or character would you like to see in doll form? 

9 comments:

  1. G.K. Chesterton? Dang!
    How many Americans, do you suppose, even know who he was?

    That's probably not destined to be a big seller, but it's pretty cool nonetheless.

    ~ D-FensDogg
    'Loyal American Underground'

    POSTSCRIPT -
    Word Verification word: "somblogg"
    Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  2. After 16 years in a used book store, I'd be hard pressed not to know G.K. Chesterdrawers, but you're right --the masses probably don't have a clue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's pretty weird. Whatever will they come up with next? Let's see who? How about a J D Salinger doll--I could hide it in my house so no one could see it. I'll put him out in the garage where I've got my Michael Jackson doll. Seriously, I do have a Michael Jackson doll still in the box--I was hoping it would be worth something someday so I could sell it.


    Lee
    On 12/12—Blogging advice from a blogging expert (no it’s not me)
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  4. *swoons* OMG, I love them! I can't decide which one I like best. I waaaaant them all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lee: "I could hide it in my house so no one could see it" --clever!

    K.C. I know, right? I had an insane time picking which ones to feature. Some of my favorites were left out. I do love that Oates doll, though. Her sweater really gets me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Erm, just a little correction: the doll you're calling Ray Bradbury is actually Isaac Asimov. He's holding a copy of I, Robot.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh, I'm so embarrassed. That was just a brain fart or something. The reason I picked him was BECAUSE it was Asimov, and it even has the Asimov sideburns. My head was out to lunch while my fingers did the typing. Much obliged!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The scariest doll on your shelf: James Ellroy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I want Blume and Bombeck, for starters. Then maybe Shel Silverstein, James Joyce, and Jane Austen. Ooh, and Mark Twain and...

    Never mind. My list would never end.

    ReplyDelete